Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Open Letter by GJ

Open letter to the young folks who attended Cousin Betty's Thanksgiving Dinners, 1963-1987. Normally, I'm not a practical joker, but on a couple of occasions, I just couldn't help myself. It was at those dinners that the idea hit me. First, you have to know your uncles Scotty and Chick. They found it hard to agree on almost everything. It seemed that almost every Thanksgiving, when there was a lull in the group's conversation, one of them would just happen to mention our family's early automobiles. Scotty maintained that it was a Mitchell, and Chick was positive it was some other make. (They probably even disagreed on which model/year it was.) Back and forth they would go, both in their 60's, both feeling cantankerous?) The women would look at each other with that "Here we go again" stare, scowl a bit, and resign themselves to the "Great November Debate." One day, one occasion where I couldn't resist, the lull occurred, but...surprise, surprise, no mention of the car! Yes, I confess, I did it. I said something, like, " "Scott...what was that car that we had back in...?" (I swear, the women could have killed me if their looks had been daggers!) The rest of us men had a good laugh, of course. I think it was several hours before we were forgiven. You might like to know that Scotty was a golfer and a good one. That he was a veteran of WWII, a hospital corpsman attached to the field artillery, from Africa to Italy to France and Germany, four year's service and a Croix de Guerre medal.
You might also like to know that Chick was a farmer and very handy with horses and showed them at the Chicago Livestock Exposition. He was also a crossword puzzle addict and lover of all sorts of card games. I'll tell you more about my brothers some day soon. Ask your folks about your aunts and uncles of yore. Ask while you think about it. Maybe they, or someone else can write a memoir about one?

No comments: