Sunday, July 6, 2008

Patriotism by Grandpa Jim

There are times when I'd like to address some high school or college classes in US History or social studies, etc. I'd like to center my remarks around the subject of "risk." Anyone who has ever worn a military uniform has been "at risk," big time. It really broke my heart when some splinter group attacked John Kerry's service in Viet Nam. The fact that he was in the service...no matter which one...that he swore to obey orders...that bullets were aimed at him...some even striking his tiny boat, as I recall...made him at risk. Likewise, a marine stationed in North Carolina whose duty is to sort mail is at risk...because he may be called upon to be transferred to Iraq, or Pakistan, or Timbuctoo. In my time, anyone from 18 to 35 was at risk to be drafted. To be drafted was at risk to be sent into action. To be sent into action was at risk to be killed, wounded, or otherwise altered for the rest of one's life. Nobody should ever disparage the service of someone who has been at risk. (Note: anyone currently serving in the National Guard, or reserves, is at risk this very moment.)
Possibly my own experience will serve as an example. I enlisted in the Navy on my 17th birthday in May, 1944. (Dad had to sign!) From then until December, I was at risk in the lightest sense because I was being trained as a signalman and as a member of amphibious forces. Our ship left US in December, and we sailed to Hawaii via Panama Canal and San Diego. On the leg to Hawaii, we were "slightly at risk," because it was possible, though not probable, that Japanese submarines were in the area. On the leg from Hawaii to Guam/Saipan we were "more at risk," because the enemy was probably somewhere in the vicinity, although odds were low, because in early 1945, the enemy fleet was greatly diminished. On the leg to and arrival in Okinawa, we were "greatly at risk," because Kamikaze planes flew over us every day. (Our job was to "lay down smoke" for the larger ships in Buckner Bay. But...we were not at "greatest risk," because the planes (A) wanted the larger targets, and (B) we were not "as worth" sinking! I have read where someone criticized President Truman for dropping the bombs on Japan, yet we were at "great risk" to be called to run up on a Japanese beach if he hadn't. Yes, the bombs cost lives, but they saved lives, including mine. One of my classmates back at Great Lakes, Illinois, never left there. He was assigned to a school where he was needed. But he was every bit as "at risk" as I, half-way around the world. There was always a chance he'd be re-assigned in time for the absolute probability of an invasion. To me, patriotism is pretty simple. It is doing what your country needs you to do! Nothing else compares. If you love my country, I love you! Jim.

Read a memoir. Write a memoir. Comment on a memoir. E-mail Grandpa Jim. Today's best!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well said! p.s. I love both you and our country...
Sarah

Mrs said...

I love, love, LOVE my country! I am a patriot, second only to the fact that I am a Christian. I thank God for the men and women in uniform who are "at risk," even now!

And thank YOU, Grandpa Jim, for being one of them.