Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ruth Recalls by Ruth Brendle

Hi, Grandpa Jim. I saw the post on Sarah's blog that you were collecting memories. I've always enjoyed your stories, from the first time I met you through Sarah and Chad, to our times over Carry-In Dinner at Faith Fellowship, to the last time I saw you when Dave and I ran into you at Gator's Riverside Grill and we shared a table and memories on the river.I was thinking about how natural it has always been to call you Grampa Jim. And that made me think about my own Grandpa. I recall sitting on his lap when I was little, with my head resting against his chest, listening to his heart beat. As a child, I didn't realize it was his heart. I turned to him and said, "Grandpa, you sound like a cat purring." He smiled, and taught me, "You know, cats purr when they are happy. So do people. You make my heart happy." I settled back in, listening to his heart purr, and feeling as contented as a cat myself.Thank God for Grandpas! Ruth Brendle

No comments: