Tuesday, July 1, 2008

This thing called memory

I guess I'm fascinated by this thing called memory. Back in '83, when I published "Memoirs," I was impressed by the crisp, detailed recollections of various people who contributed stories. My own memory, ironically, is not that great! My best memory is for movies, actors, and especially "character actors," such as Liberty spokesman, Wilford Brimley. One of my contributors was a woman in her nineties! Her mind and memory were wonderfully sharp. Her name was Vie (for Violet) and I'll post some excerpts of hers from time to time. Sometimes I think my problem stems from falling, but only a few times on my head! Other Times, just a matter of individual differences in people, maybe? I recall having my mouth "washed out with soap" as a child for uttering a phrase that is pretty common today. I can almost taste those suds! (Today, my Mom would be punished for abuse, I suppose?) Anyone share my interest in memory? Try writing a memoir and you may get a new slant?

No comments: