Sunday, July 13, 2008

And That Reminds Me #1

As I was posting the one below (about baseball) I was reminded that in about a month, baseball will commemorate (in the media, anyway) the passing of George Herman (Babe) Ruth. (He was holder of home run records prior to the longer season and certain "weapons of modern chemical enhancement.") How do I know it was 60 yeras ago? Because I composed the Chicago Sun-Times headline that appered that day in August, 1948. That headline was just two words, yet it filled the front page: "Bambino
Dies!"

That headline was set up on a sheet of paper and taped on the post in front of my desk. When I arrived at work each night, there it was for several days. Then, one hot, muggy night, it was gone, which meant it had been sent downstairs to be printed and The Babe was no longer with us. I felt a little like I was a part of history, even though it was only baseball history. (Note: it often happens that newspapers used to be aware of a famous person's impending death, thus they would compose headlines and obituaries in advance. Part of this was the fact that many large cities had several daily papers, and there was always a race to get "on the streets first." Young boys could earn money "hawking" papers on street corners," by shouting, "Extra! Extra! Read all about it. Get your latest paper here." Often, there were boys on the same intersection, but opposite corners, hawking three papers at same time! (Chicago's Tribune, Sun-Times, and Herald Examiner.)

The newspaper business has its own history.

No comments: