Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Excerpt #1: Water by Mabel Sterling

From habit, I'm a saver of water. I use a pan to catch the water from the faucet until it is hot enough to wash with. The panful is saved until I wish to water my flowers. I've always been a conserver of water.
As a child in Missouri, we carried water for our household up a hill from a spring, about a block away. Many years later on a farm in Iowa, we had a wonderful windmill to pump fresh, cold water, which we still carried in a pail for our household needs.
In the 1920's I went to a small Wyoming town to teach school there, and still there was no public water system. The management of our "rooming house" furnished us with a jug of shipped-in water from an artisian well for drinkling. We were supplied with daily hot water for our personal needs. Later, when I had married and had an apartment, the running water and a real bathroom was a step up, even though we did cook on a kerosene stove and heat the water in the same way.
I've always been fascinated by a quiet rain, a babbling brook, and the vast blue ocean. Just today I read an article stating that it takes from 500 to 2000 gallons of water to produce an average American meal.
It's no wonder that I "give thanks" when I can put a glass under the faucet on my refrigerator and get filtered ice cubes and cold water to drink.

Water was submitted to me in 1983 when Mabel lived in Torrance, CA. Probably long gone, her contributions were always welcome. I'll try to post some more of them, eventually.

No comments: