Friday, August 1, 2008

Update #2 by Grandpa Jim

A new month brings fascinating e-mail. I received a message from a man who is the grand-nephew of one of my "Memoirs" contributors of 25 years ago, Adie S. Petzoldt, of Quincy, IL. Part of Adie's only memoir to me was posted on this blog on July 3rd. I owe grand-nephew Ken an apology because I referred to Adie as "she," when "he" was correct. ( I wondered why I assumed Adie was feminine, and then recalled that I had a cousin named "Addie," who was a woman.) I have asked Ken to share how he happened upon my blog.

For those of you who "tuned in late," I want to summarize my blog's purpose. I sincerely hope to get people to share a memory with me (and the other readers.) I do most of the sharing, it seems, and that's OK, but it isn't my intention to rule the roost. ( I read somewhere that if too many unposted dates show up, people will not be as interested. ) My trusty little "bean-counter" of a PC tells me that 1066 people have "hit" the blog and a little less than 4% view my "view." ( I think I'll add a little to it today. )

I refer to the sharing of a memory as a "memoir." I once published (1983-84) a newsletter, of sorts, and had a hundred subscribers, about 1/4th of whom sent in their memoirs. Some of them recall events as far back as 1900+/-, such as Adie's. I wouldn't expect today's "commentators" to go back that far, but certainly the 1930's and 40's are within reason. (My generation, for example, remembers a group called the "Glenn Miller Orchestra," which was the "rage" during those WWII days. ) Glenn died in a plane crash while crossing the English Channel to play for the troops in Europe in 1944. I can't begin to do justice to how we all felt when that occurred. We had lost a very close friend. (I was in training as part of USNavy's Amphibious Forces when the news came.) Miller was a major in the Army Air Corps, in charge of its "official band," and made up of many of his own, former musicians. The rest of the orchestra was already in Europe, having flown on ahead of their leader. (The US Air Force did not become a separate service until after the war.)


I'd like it if you'd share something with us, too. For your family, for instance. Children and grandchildren really appreciate family "stories." History buffs really appreciate hearing "how it was" way back when. Peers appreciate reading about things that "bring back" people or events long forgotten. Stories remind people of similar stories! Join us, won't you?

No comments: