Thursday, August 14, 2008

Can anybody ought there help me? by GJ

Here's my problem. I have a collection of previously printed memoirs. There are several different fonts used, but all are quite normal, easy-to-read type fonts. All are between 12 and 14 points, I'd guess. Some are on parchment paper. Many have illustrations. All are black ink. It is an extremely varied "lot." I only care about the TEXT.

There are about 50 to 75 pages (81/2 X 11) of these stories.

I want to somehow store these pages in my computer, or put into some form (CD?) which I can use in order to put them in Microsoft Word. I want to be able to do just a little editing, such as add a title, for instance. Or add a label, such as, "Part Two."

Next, I want to be able to copy the slightly "new" version into a POST for my blog. Aha! It is here that all text would be same type and size!!!!

I have been told that there is a program called OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that is supposed to do what I want. Does anybody "out there" know if this is true? Is it possible that a store, such as Kinko's, can do this for me? (My local Office Depot cannot.) (Three local "copy shops" cannot.) The only software I have seen was in a catalogue at OD that had prices such as $3,000 +/-.

I am basically computer illiterate, so I have nowehere else to turn. I suppose most of you think I must be pretty dense? I would be grateful for any tips or advice.

No comments: