Friday, August 22, 2008

Time to pause by GJ

First, a little celebrating. Found answer to transcribing old memoirs. Place called "Kinko's" will do the job, quickly and reasonably. They have a scanner that will even accept the basic graphics of my collection. (Illustrations.) Now all I have to do is organize the stories. By author? By topic? I'll just hope a method will occur to me.

These memoirs I keep referring to come from two year's of publishing (24 issues) what I always called a "newsletter," named "Memoirs," just because I didn't know what else it was. It wasn't big enough to be a magazine; usually ran 4 to 6 pages, sometimes 8. ($15/year.) At its peak, in 1984, I had 100+ subscribers from all corners of US. Less than 20 were dependable contributors.

One of the very positive benefits was meeting five or six of the twenty, and already knowing four or five others. (One was a cousin, Betty Neal.) Three of the former five or six were already in their nineties, and their work rarely needed editing. Many stories went back into late 1880's and 90's. (Not many dealt with The Depression, which I found interesting.)

I was never happier than when I was running off the pages on my copier, addressing the envelopes, stuffing the letters, adding a P.S., now and then, stamping, and mailing my 100+ "babies." Paying the illustrator and the type-setter proved to be too much overhead, plus Jean was just about to retire, too, and giving it up was the prudent, but sad thing to do.

Within the next week or two, I hope to post the first memoir from the new "technology."

No comments: