Saturday, August 9, 2008

A brief foray into politics by GJ

It could come as a surprise to my family that I took a "flyer" into politics in 1952. I was a senior in college, 25, and about to embark on a teaching career. I read an article about a state representative who, the paper documented, had charged the state for two hotel rooms in two different cities for the same night's lodging. (As I recall, there were other implied transgressions.) Since the man was unopposed, I thought, why not give it a try? The charges against my opponent apparently made no difference to "the party" because they totally ignored me and didn't invite me to take part in any "get-togethers." I spent about $50 of my own, scarce funds, raised about $100 from well-wishers, and lost, of course. (I openly endorsed General Eisenhower for President, while the party preferred Senator Robert Taft. Our whole area went for Taft, but Ike won the rest of the continent.) I did get some fairly nice coverage in the local papers, and I did win maybe 2,000 votes, or so. (Newspaper readers, apparently?) It's just as well. I had only one qualification, really. I wanted to serve my state and one hotel room at a time was plenty.

No comments: