Thursday, January 29, 2009

D minus 1 and 1/2 by GJ

Can’t help but reflect on the employment crisis today. Eldest daughter, Donna, was “downsized” several years ago from a wonderful salary to part-time pitiful salary. Gender, age, and over-qualifications were against her, as if any one weren’t enough. People are being “let go” (isn’t that a wonderful euphemism?) by the tens of thousands every day. At one end of the spectrum are some who will survive for a myriad of reasons. At the other end are talented, people-person, intelligent, and multi-tasking workers such as Donna who are genuine victims.

I was unemployed a dozen times over my lifetime, I suppose, but never was I a victim like so many today. And I don’t mean this is any sarcastic sense. One reason is that it was possible in my time to move in with somebody better off! Try piling on the housing crisis. Then, heap upon that layer of crisis, the economic crises involving credit, low interest on savings, and high prices. Where are the “better offs?”

Can you imagine trying to survive on unemployment insurance in 2009? (And it isn’t called temporary for nothing!)

I can’t help but pray that our Dear Lord would inspire the family, the friends, the neighbors, the churches---whomever--- to feel for the true victims of today. Bless their hearts, they are facing conditions quite similar to those in Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath. Join me in that prayer, please.

No comments: