Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another D-4 by GJ

Wish I could recall more details of the time Brother Chick and I had to corral a runaway team of horses. We had been walking alongside the hay wagon, picking up loose hay with pitchforks and throwing it on the wagon as the horses plodded along without a driver. Something “spooked” the animals and off they went! Chick yelled at me to close the gate, clear across the field to the rear of us. I ran as fast as my 14-year-old legs would let me, and managed to get the gate closed in plenty of time, mainly because the horses were galloping around the perimeter of the field. It was at this same time, minutes before, or afterward, that Leona came down to the hayfield to inform us that our Uncle Jim had died of a heart attack. The two events always helped me recall each other…ever a BLESSING!

No comments: