Saturday, January 31, 2009

D for Dropout Day? By Grandpa Jim

Looks like there were an even dozen "regular readers." (I know of five or six who weren't able to respond, too.) There will be no more posting, I'm afraid. I think I'll reorganize my e-mail groups and work more with them. That enables me to compose in Word, transfer to e-mail, save two or three steps, and spares the nuisance of "reverse chronological order." (A felllow could go over the edge trying to work with that, believe me. I saw straight-jackets beckoning several times.) I even have hopes that one day I might cope with the "my documents" unique style of organiza-tion. (Mine seems to have a will of its own...sometimes bouncing back and forth between date-and-alphabet. I never did solve the difference between save and save as!)


Daughter Donna is with us for long weekend, culminating with Jean's 79th birthday Monday. (I've sometimes called her "my little groundhog.") (But only because she belongs in the "Good Sport Hall of Fame.")


Blogging has made me abundantly aware of how much has passed me by. Technologically, I'm probably still back with the calculator, no...the abacus, probably, and even then, I could use one...I just didn't know why it worked. My Dad was asked by one of my students in about 1960 if, having been born in 1882, what was the most impressive invention he had witnessed? And was it putting things into outer space? He said, "No. I'll NEVER comprehend doing THAT. I'd have to say it was when a submarine sailed under the North Pole!" (He had served in the navy and could relate to that.)


I don't know if, even pressed to do so, I could teach today. I would probably reveal how little I know about so much that they know, I'd have them rolling in the aisles most of the time. (But I do know the usage of "cool," however. Know why? Because it has come back from an earlier era!!!)


OCTUPLETS????? Mama sure could be forgiven for saying, "Oh, my aching back!" (Note...this is a saying that was every bit as popular as "cool" in its day.) It's a good thing she has those six other children at home...she'll need their help. I wonder at what age the six will be able to leave the nest? There are two more siblings than the six of them to tend to.


God Bless each and every one of you. Love, Grandpa Jim.

No comments: