Sunday, October 26, 2008

Memorizing, anyone?

I feel a need to get on a soapbox, or behind a podium, or something. Doesn't anybody demand the memorization of the multiplication table any more? How can one move on to long division if they don't? With all of the visual aids today, with flash cards, etc., WHY NOT have it memorized? There are contests you can have, and a lot of ways to challenge kids, and even some fun to be had with the skill. Am I wrong in guessing that there are teachers who don't want to spend the time on it? Who think it is tedious? (And, who may not have had to do it, themselves, thus are unaware of its value?) Number one value, I submit, is ESTIMATING! (Square footage, for one example. Average bedroom of 11 X 11 = 121SF.)

My "primitive times" education held that basic arithmetic (add, subtract, multiply, divide) was the NATURAL foundation for those "higher maths," of algebra, etc. How can anyone skip over any one of the four and expect to keep pace with those who didn't?

Dare I ask, "Let's see...whatever happened to that 'new' math?" Maybe it went into orbit in order to keep company with the metric system? Tell you what. I haven't had a math course in about 65 years, and I'd welcome the opportunity to match that skill (the table through 12's, in our heads) against any arithmetic teacher who disagrees with me. From what I read about the FCAT, I don't think I need to worry about a taker.

No comments: