Sunday, October 26, 2008

Howie, Bob, Bob, and me...by GJ

I'm guessing that it was about 20 years ago. At a HS class reunion, former student (debater) Bob ran into classmate Howie (debater.) In talking about old times, coach Jim's (mine) name popped up. Bob tells Howie that he heard that the coach was "gone." Howie is sorry to hear that. Howie just goes on about his life until the next reunion, five years later. This time, Howie runs into another Bob, a former teacher and close pal of coach Jim.

They get to talking and Howie says, "Gee that was too bad, hearing that the coach had died." Bob couldn't help but laugh. "What do you mean gone? I had a letter from him just lately!"

Howie proceeded to get my phone number, called, and told me the story. It turns out that he is married to a woman who has relatives here in Florida and they try to get down to see them every winter or two. Needless to say, we (Jean, myself, Howie, and Maria) got together for lunch at a place about half-way between our towns. We did this several more times, as well, and talk on the phone, too.

Yes, it is just like Mark Twain's quotation, that "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." It sure can happen, can't it?

No comments: