Tuesday, October 21, 2008

As to those doves...GJ

Two readers say that they are called mourning doves because of their mournful song. It is just a coincidence that they gather mainly in the morning here in central Florida, I guess. Google confirms the fact, too.

There is another bird here that may not be as numerous outside of Florida, I don't know...it's called an osprey. I've never seen one very close, but I'd guess its size as close to that of the dove. A few years ago, Jean and I used to cross a long bridge over a lake near us, and the divided highway has a long string of light poles on each side. We used to see a few ospreys perched up on top of these poles and sometimes we'd count them. The average was probably three to five, but one day we counted twelve and were amazed. These birds apparently perch up there and look down at the water for their supper. They never appear on light poles away from the lake, even though there are plenty to choose from.

I know very little about birds, but I do have pleasant memories of canaries in our house when I was small. Dad built a "window cage" for them, and the house often rang loudly with their songs. When they were in "good form," Mom would have to sing, too, and the house sort of pulsated with joy and celebration. I was nine when Mom went to join a heavenly choir, and Dad gave the birds away. No future house would ever seemed as cozy.

No comments: