Monday, October 6, 2008

Blog in Recess by Grandpa Jim

I'm taking some time off. I'm sulking because I won't be around to see the Cubs waste another century. Think of it...I'll miss the 125th, 150th, and 175th anniversaries, too! Is there any other human endeavor where your so-called "team" of 25 young atheletes can play marvelously for 162 games and then miserably for the 3 that count?

Don't let me go one bit further. (Did you ever wonder about the rule that governs farther and further?) This was one of my favorite concepts as I worked with 9th graders. In a nutshell, if something is measurable, like in numbers, of yards, dollars, hours, altitude, or degree, you use farther. If, on the other hand, you intend something that is not really measurable, you use further.

Example: "The quarterback could not throw the ball any farther." (73 yards, rather than 72, since football is measured largely in yards.) " Or: "The attorney did not pursue the matter any further." (Did not spend any more effort on it. Pretty hard to measure effort.) Are there gray areas? You can believe it. (It's English, remember?)

I'll try to get back on track in a few days.

No comments: