Saturday, September 13, 2008

Try to understand, OK? by GJ

I'm going to ask and need your understanding. My tale goes back to about 1955, + or -. This is retreating over 50 years, you realize. The story shows a bad lapse in judgement...my judgement.

Understand, first, that society was a great deal different. Understand, second, that much of life has undergone radical change in these particular 50 years. Third, I need some consideration for the fact it was only my third year of teaching, and the first year in a REAL high school. I had not learned a lot in the first two years in other schools for a variety of reasons I don't have room to go into here.

Fourth, this was a hasty utterance that could happen to...well, a lot of folks?

It was freshman English and early in the year. A new girl had appeared as a recent transfer from another town. In the middle of this particular period, I asked the new girl to please stand and read from the text. She didn't respond. I asked again, and she remained seated and said, "No."

I said, "What?" She said something like, "I won't." I said something like, "You had better, or..." She remained defiant. She said something like, "Or what?" "Or I'll have to spank you," I stupidly replied. With this, she jumped up, turned, and ran around the back of the room in an attempt to reach the door which was in the front of the room. (I probably told her to return to her seat, or something, I hope.) As she flung open the door, and only having to take few steps to the side, I was able to grasp her trailing arm with my left hand and give her a glancing, gentle swat on her behind as it left the room. Fifth, one should always follow through on a threat!!!

She did go back to her seat and fought the tears of embarrassment. I called on somebody else, or the bell rang, I don't really recall.

When class was over, and having a break, I rushed down to the principal's office. He was free, so I went in and blurted out, "We've got a problem!" He actually smiled, which was of no help, whatsoever, and said, "What do you mean we?"

After I explained, he told me that we should just wait it out and deal with it when necessary.

Days later, a student approached me in the hall. (I think she was in my junior class.) She said, "Hey, don't worry, Mr. Van. Sis never told our parents!"

I don't think I ever uttered an idle threat again.

No comments: