Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just Wonderin' by GJ

Happened to be watching an old, "Walton's" TV re-run, and saw a scene where a mother was saying goodbye to her son as he departed for navy service in WWII. The boy said he'd be going to strange countries "with Kings," and islands "where people wear flowers around their necks." He wanted to know, "What can I bring back for you?" His mom said, "Yourself!"

This made me think that mothers take it terribly hard when their boys go off to "war." I don't know if they find it harder than fathers, or if fathers take a more fatalistic view, or if fathers are less open about their feelings, or what. My observations are colored by the fact that my mom was deceased when I left, in 1944. My own dad was not very open, and he had raised me since 1936.

This leads me to think about how parents, others, maybe everybody sees war. I can see three distinct views, and there are probably more I don't see at this juncture. First, a lot of people may see military services as equally "risky." Second, a lot of people know the differences in the "risk factor," and third, a lot of people are probably like I was at 17, naive. My 81 years tell me that each service has its risk, and much, if not all, depends upon where you are and, equally, when you are there. (Marines at Iwo Jima, and GI's at "Battle of Bulge" were at risk, BIG TIME. Air Force people were at risk every time their planes were aloft, therefore FREQUENTLY, as examples. Sailors in the "Merchant Marine" saw vast numbers go down in their ships. The Coast Guard was actually at risk from submarines right off our shores!) Members of all the branches were at minimal risk away from the "front," whether stateside or wherever, but who knew when the "front" might come to them? Being in uniform was being "at risk," just as being draftable had its risk. Factory workers building ships and planes were also at risk. Almost all were at risk!

There is, today, a custom for people to thank those who are in (or were in) service. It's a great custom, and when I'm on receiving end, I'm very grateful. I'd like to think that today, moms may have a better idea of risk and maybe they are fortified by this. Yet, I doubt it. Moms will probably always fear the potential risk more intensely than anyone else can. It comes with and from motherhood, doesn't it? It's a reason why "War is Hell," isn't it?

No comments: