Saturday, September 20, 2008

REPRINT #1 by GJ

The following post was sent by "surrogate son/former student/class of 1961, Charlie Carpenter," the editor/publisher of "Carpenter's News," a quarterly newsletter. In our frequent correspondence, it was agreed that I would write a column to help "fill in" Charlie's new venture. I called the column, "Mr. Van Recalls," as that is the name I was called almost always, because, at first, the whole four syllables of VanDelinder can be a mouthful. "Lute Song" refers to the first play I chose, a classic, ancient Chinese drama with a cast of 30. I chose it merely because of the cast size, because the drama program was so down in numbers. Our second play was to be "You Can't Take It With You," that had a cast of 19...but...I now had 30 people with experience plus any newcomers who might win a role. The play had been a smash on Broadway and a good film, winning both best director and best film, 1938. "Lute Song" drew crowds for us because of size of cast, the uniqueness of the play, and my debut, maybe. The spring comedy then drew crowds because of familiarity with the film and our fall success.


###
---Mr. Van recalls---

It was during "Lute Song," fall of 1958. First, you have to remember that the faculty lounge had two entrances; one at each end of the long, narrow room. I was in the lounge, a brand new teacher to CHS, just finishing our first play, not knowing many people at all. The girls’ counselor called me aside and said there was a girl who wanted to be anonymous, but who was upset that she wasn't invited to the cast party. I told the counselor that there had to be a misunderstanding.

I left the lounge by the south door, turned right and almost bumped into Larry McGuiness. I said, "Who might be complaining to the counselor that she hasn't been invited ..." And before I could finish, Larry said "(X),” and kept on walking to class. By the time this exchange took place, I was at the north door, so I walked back into the lounge, found the counselor, said "Please tell (X) that there has been some mistake and she is certainly welcome, as is all the cast."

By this time, I was in position to exit the south door, so I did so, leaving the counselor with her mouth quite wide open. Two important facts, here. Number one, I discovered that Larry was "the man." Number two, I never even thought of asking him how he knew it was (X,) simply because I figured he wasn't about to tell me. How else do you become the man?

(By the way, (X) was not in the class of '61...possibly that of '59?) I have often wondered, how long did it take the counselor to discover my source? I'll be nice and guess that maybe it was a day or two. Next issue: CHS's own Laurel and Hardy?

###

No comments: