Thursday, November 20, 2008

You Never Know by GJ

It was probably 1963, give or take. Student Mike Decker turned in a good essay on his dream to become a railroad (steam) engineer. It was probably his best work up to that time.

It wasn't long before Mike handed in a second paper on the same topic. It was as good or better than the first, and I went out of my way to compliment him. When he submitted a third paper, and graduation was near, I tried to counsel him.

"I sure don't want to discourage you, Mike, " I said, "but could you be in for some disappointment? I mean, do you know how long it takes to work your way up to engineer? You usually start much lower, and have to serve as fireman, first. There was a time when it took twenty years or more."

"Yes, I know," he replied, "but that's my goal."

All I could do was wish him luck in that era of rapid conversion to diesel engines.

About ten years later, I took the family to a place called "Wisconsin Dells," north of Madison. As we strolled around the various amusement offerings, I heard a train whistle and suggested that we look into it as a way to ride around the park. As we approached the miniature engine, who steps out but Mike Decker, complete with engineer's overalls and oil can!

I must admit that the engine was not at all as small as some, and it was putting out steam, all right. It was a genuine steam locomotive! I told him how pleased I was to see that he had "made it." He told me that it was kind of tough at first, because he had a lot to learn, but the worst part was that the train didn't operate in the winter, and winter jobs were hard to find.

However, he told me, he had recently been able to work there in Wisconsin year around because they were getting other engines sent in for repairs and so that part of the business was really picking up. Mike Decker, Niles West High School, thy name is perseverence!

No comments: