Thursday, November 13, 2008

Great Grandfatherhood by GJ

For about ten years, now, I’ve enjoyed being GREAT grandpa Jim.

At first, it was the novelty. I never knew any of my four grandparents, let alone anyone beyond that. (I once SAW my maternal grandpa, but I was quite small and he was on his deathbed. I always carried the memory of his feet sticking out of the covers! Beds were shorter in 1920’s, and he was tall.)

After the novelty lessened (with arrival of second baby) and then all but disappeared when we were blessed by three more through marriage, then two more by adoption) I tried to be more observant.

Only one observation stands out. I don’t think any of the youngsters have any concept of our generation. I’m not sure that any of the parents bother to stress the “great” part of the title, maybe. I don’t recall ever hearing their parents say that we are THEIR grandparents! Nor do I think our children remind their grandchildren that we are their PARENTS.

In order for the children to comprehend, then, each generation almost has to point it out and remind them and motivate them to be curious. Do kids ever ask many questions, these days? About anything? Hmmmm.

Finally, of course, there is the matter of today’s society. I worry that millions of grandparents are destined never to see grandchildren in the process of growing up, and scores of millions will never live to see a GREAT grandchild. In reverse, millions upon millions of people will never know past generations as they ought to be known…lovingly, closely, and familiarly. How else can they truly grasp their heritage?

No comments: