Sunday, November 16, 2008

Comment on "Conflicts" by Charlie Carpenter

When I was a brand new math teacher, September 1965, I was given a grade book, and six classes--two Algebra I, two Geometry, one Algebra II, and one Senior Math at a small downstate Illinois school with about 350 students.

When I was hired in the spring, I was given the job of ordering new text books for my premiere year. I ordered the series from Houghton Mifflin referred to as "the Dolciani Series."The grade book was set up for six-week grading. All of my students passed the first six weeks. At the end of the second six weeks, one of my freshman girls had not met the course objectives--primarily, daily homework and passing the exams. She had earned an "F".

I did not want to give her an "F'. It was a hill that I had never climbed and I was reluctant to do so.The problem was not her intelligence. It was her focus. She was much more interested in upperclass boys than she was in Algebra I. I think she came to school to lollygag around with them at noon hour, also before and after school. She seemed awestruck by them.

When I had computed all my grades, I asked her to see me privately. She came in after school. I told her that she had earned an "F" grade in Algebra I. Before she could say anything, I added: "In my still-young teaching career, yours will be the first "F" I will ever have to give."I wanted so much for her to protest: "Please, Mr. Carpenter, don't give me an 'F'. My folks will kill me. I'll do better next six weeks, you'll see!"

She disappointed me and taught me a great lesson all at the same time with her reply: "It will not be the last." I felt like a big stone had been lifted from my shoulders."Thank you," I said, dismissing her with a wave of my hand. And I never ever had trouble when it came time to give an "F."As I remember, however, she did pass the course.

Back then students in Illinois were only required to take one year of math; I do not remember her being a student of mine the next year. She would have been in my class, since I was the math department of one!

No comments: