Thursday, November 20, 2008

Movies in View by GJ

Nancy and I drove Jean down to Tampa for a MOPPS convention in the summer of 1993. To pass the time, we went to a museum and then decided to take a chance on a movie, which just happened to start at a convenient time.

The film was “Groundhog Day,” starring Bill Murray. (As it happens, GD is Jean’s birthday, 2/2.)

It wasn’t long before we both began to really enjoy the picture. It seems, in retrospect, that each new morning became funnier and funnier to us. (That is, of course, the film’s goal!) The movie is also an excellent example of “the suspension of disbelief.”

Pretty soon, we found ourselves laughing quite heartily, maybe even to the point of tears. Afterwards, we talked about how we had both been so tickled at this slap-stick, rather ridiculous picture.

And then we realized that the laughter was something we both needed…a catharsis. It was just a few months before that the missionaries were taken, and the pressure had been building in both of us.

***************************************

Movies in General

Is it politically correct for an old man to confess that certain movies have brought tears to his eyes? Well, they do, and I can’t help it.

I don’t want to go back too far or too deep here, but I do want to mention a few examples. “Based on Fact,” or “True Life” stories get to me, most. “Stand and Deliver” is the first that comes to mind. At the very end, just before the “credits,” the ultimate results of future classes scrolls up the screen. They are so spectacularly successful, that I am deeply moved.

Another example is “Places in the Heart,” even though it is strictly fiction. The performances by Sally Field, Ed Harris, Danny Glover, and the children, et al, is so great that I don’t want it to end!

As many times as I have seen it, “The Glenn Miller Story” is still so touching that it almost hurts.

1 comment:

Mrs said...

Have to agree with you on the Glenn Miller Story. Is it the one with Jimmy Stewart? Priceless.

Will have to check out the others. I love a good cry sometimes!

When my kids were growing up, the movie that would get me EVERY time was Homeward Bound. Yes, the one of two dogs and a cat making their way home from the mountains. At the end, when Peter sees the other pets have returned but his beloved Shadow hasn't . . . my kids literally watched that movie hundreds of times and I cried every time. I wouldn't even have to be in the same room when that scene came on!