Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back to square one...

Have to admit it, I prefer posting to book-writing/arranging/proofing/etc.

This time around, I'll dwell more on "how I see things" than tales from the dim, dark past. It's clear that few people care for the latter and nobody wants to share, as a result. So...no more prodding or pleading from me.

My top concern this morning is that I can't help thinking that quite possibly, free, public education is doomed! I stepped into my first classroom 57 years ago, and the signs were there already.

Can you imagine the shock it was to me when that terrible incident at Columbine took place? In 1952, at least, school was a safe place to be. In 1952, at least, even the poorest child could afford to attend school. I can't believe the cost today, and I'm sure the estimates are conservative.

In the 52 years I refer to, where has our leadership been hiding? Teachers were underpaid then, and it has only gotten worse. Where have our "good citizens" been hiding? Even then, there was a gap. Even then, only the parents of school-age kids cared that much. Once your kids graduated, you came down with "let's vote against all tax increases, no matter how small!"

Mark my words, private schools and home-schooling will continue to expand and out-perform the public efforts. I think that local concerns have given way to the federal government to such an extent that all will only worsen.

Such movements as FCAT and NCLB cannot possibly solve the REAL problems of every little district in this nation. It must fall upon the shoulders of those who are grateful for their own education to do what needs to be done, district by district.

OK, I've said my piece for "Father's Day." I suppose everyone will agree with me?

1 comment:

Mrs said...

I do!

We homeschool, but that doesn't mean we don't care about what's happening in the public schools. We also have several friends who are teachers. They have a tough row to hoe.