Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Missing, by Grandpa Jim

Heard or read just the other day that Norman Rockwell painted three hundred and forty-some (?) covers for the "Saturday Evening Post" magazine. I couldn't help but run that through my always-curious-about-math brain. If he painted one every week (Post was a weekly) he'd paint 52 per year. 345, let's say, divided by 52 comes to almost seven years! But he couldn't have provided that many that often. Every other week comes to 14 years. Every third week comes to 20 years. Monthly comes to almost 30 years. Awesome. I absolutely must get on Google and see what I can find. I'll report later.

The Post reminds me of the "magazine era" of 1920's, 30's, and 40's. Seven come to mind; Post, Colliers, Liberty, American, Life, Reader's Digest, and Esquire, a men's magazine. Subscribers looked forward to the day that a magazine arrived. (Some by mail, some by delivery boy.) Hours of enjoyment awaited, with favorite features, quizzes, short stories, and famous authors.

Liberty, I think it was, offered a unique twist in that it posted an "average time" to read some of its stories. If Mom only had 40 minutes before taking something out of the oven and a story had a 30-minute average time, she could squeeze it into her schedule.

I always leaned toward Colliers, but I can't recall why. I really think that Rockwell's covers sold a lot of Post's issues.

No comments: