Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BACK-PEDALLING?

Bought a tricycle today! Now don’t laugh and don’t think I’ve ridden back to my childhood. And yes, I can fit on it. It has a horn, a parking brake, and a computer! (It is teal in color.) What other vehicle can fit on the sidewalk?

And, get this…it has a flag on the back! (A bright orange pennant.) Why? Because it is so wasteful to start a car for the ½ mile trip to the mail box. You see, the mail is put into the boxes at somewhat uncertain times, mostly from 1:00 to 3:00 PM. If nobody (Gary or Nancy) is going out after noon, we don’t bother to get the mail until the next day. Sometimes it is even more than one day, even.

OK, so I’m the only one who REALLY cares. On most days, it really doesn’t matter. But, and only from time to time, I expect mail from such folks as stamp dealers, for instance. (I send them SASE’s and use these to keep track of postmarks.) The PM’s I keep track of in a journal in order to register the “turn-around” time. One man didn’t reply for two weeks and I just won’t bother to do any more business with him. One man replies almost by the next day! He gets most of the business, of course.

I took my “Bike,” it is Bike Week, after all, on its shakedown cruise this evening. Took me a shade less than five minutes each way and was quite easy. I hope the price in sore muscles is not too high. Thus, I am no longer quite so dependent. Like the line from “God’s Trombones,” “…and THAT’S good.” (Said as He surveyed His creations.)

No comments: