Monday, March 9, 2009

All Grown Up, by GJ

Had a flashback yesterday. Happened upon an old movie with Shirley Temple as the young daughter of a cavalry colonel in a John Wayne western.

She was playing the role of a 16-year-old, but was 20, so the film was made in about 1948. I remarked to Jean (yesterday) that Shirley must have been Jean’s age and was, therefore, 18 when film was made. I was trying to emphasize the fact that Jean must have been a real fan when both were, like 6 or 8. (She doesn’t remember, of course, but seems to be pleased by the possibility.)

I looked it up, and I missed it by two years. She was born in April of 1928, a tad over two years before Jean, and a year after myself. I don’t recall ever seeing ST in a film when she was in her 20’s. Unlike a lot of child-stars, she was a real beauty at that stage of her life. (Cute at 9, a doll at 19?)

I tease Jean about being beautiful today, and believe it or not, she denies it and blushes! (Right after Nancy does her hair, I tell her I shouldn’t take her out into public, for fear she’ll be kidnapped. She blushes again.)

Interesting to note what has happened to “Opie,” from Andy Griffin fame, Ron Howard. He has gone on to direct some real “smashes,” DaVinci Code, for example. Little Opie turned 55 last week! Two child-stars. One becomes an outstanding director, the other a UN Ambassador. There’s probably a book about whatever happened to such as these?

Finally, this brings me to wonder if we aren’t on brink of a huge shortage of “character actors?” They are fading away rapidly, much like my veteran buddies. (More on these actors at another time.)

No comments: