Friday, June 27, 2008

NOTE: the purpose of my blog is not as an existing family exchange...not just my personal views, but as a forum for anyone who shares my love of exchanging memories. Memories can be, and often are, HISTORY. I'd like to have SENIORS, baby boomers, and history buffs all to get involved as they are inclined. As the readers, or the writers,( I'll have more on this as we go along.) they will provide the "meat" of this endeavor.

The first post is from our beloved Sarah, and I'm indebted to her for "breaking the ice." I recall the seven year-old Sarah as she roller skated on the basement floor and sang songs to herself...hymns, as it turns out! (She was working on me, and I didn't know it!)

I reserve the right to edit, reduce, paraphrase, or otherwise cause posts to fit my basic purpose.

One of my major goals is to provide examples, or samples, or excerpts that will inspire you to share your memories. I even have a collection to draw upon...written by ordinary folks, just like us. You may gain ideas, topics, suggestions, etc., that will "trigger" a memory of your own.

And if your post needs some "proofing," I'll try to provide that, too.

Another of my goals is to prod people into getting parents and grandparents to write (or even dictate, orally) their memories. I Have a lot of questions that I'd love to ask my parents...but I've outlived them! Don't let that happen, please.

Example: An aunt of mine always believed that, because we had ancestors named Harrison, that we must have been descended from one of the two presidents. Maybe, maybe not. I'm too old to start becoming a genealogist, so I guess I'll never know...and it doesn't matter...but it's an interesting, unanswered question that has come down through the ages.

OK, enough, for now. I'm excited to see what happens to this. (If all you care to do is read, I sincerely hope you'll get something from it.) Love, Grandpa Jim.

No comments: